Dear Mimi

Dear Mimi,
Someday you may arrive at this foreign place called motherhood, and it is with the deepest love that I need to tell you- it's fantastically hard. I pray you'll stand firm in God's love, and hope you'll learn from my meanderings along the way.

Love, Mama

Armpits

Three years ago I had my face planted in one of my best friend's armpits.

My sweet friend had lost her husband unexpectedly and tragically. Mimi, it was the most shocking trial I had ever witnessed. She was so in love with him. The aftermath broke your mama's heart. Tara had a toddler and was pregant when he died. I mourned the loss of her husband as much as I mourned the loss of her boys' daddy.

In hindsight, this journey reminds me of a story in the bible about a battle Moses and his people fought. Moses stood up on a hill watching. Every time he raised his arms and staff up to heaven his people prevailed over the enemy. But everytime his arms got tired and dropped down, the enemy advanced. In response, two of his friends held his arms up, so that the battle was won.

Unlike Moses, Tara had a mirad of people holding her arms up. In the early aftermath, one of the women who did some holding was Miss Kristin, as you know her. The example set for me in that time, by all that she did for Tara will be with me always, challenging me to step-it-up when someone I love is in need. A friend in adversity is like no other.

Mimi, when you face trial, don't shy away from help. Keep your eyes on God, He is the ultimate source of perspective and strength. Let people hold you, and seek to hold others. Tara did something amazing by allowing me to stick my face in her armpit of a situation. She allowed me the vantage point to see the victory that would come later. If she never shared her struggle, I would not be so overjoyed now.

Last weekend, Tara got engaged. Surely her fiancé does not replace Preston, but how can my heart not sing at the sight of God's provision for this young family? He is a direct answer to my own sappy prayers that Tara be swept off her feet by a mature man of God. And the spectacular ring is a bonus!

There will be more battles in Tara's life with the true victory coming only when her race is finished. That said, it has been a privilege and honor to be her friend. If she had not been willing to share the pain, I would not be so over-the-top thrilled in the healing of her heart.


Proverbs 17:17
A friend is always loyal.

2 comments:

  1. aw Shelly i love you!!! I know whatever happens in our life we will always be armpit friends haha You are a joy in my life and i'm so glad i can call you one of my best friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writings!
    Your sis, Susan

    ReplyDelete