Mimi,
This was recently published in an e-newsletter, but I
thought I’d blog it because what the Lord taught me is worth repeating. The big
idea, as James Taylor has sung: shower the people you love with love…
I climbed up the fence, and with my stomach impaled on the
chain-link and hands cupped around my mouth, I screamed as loud as I could. My
jugular was bulging, my brow was furrowed, and my saliva was flying. I was watching
a track meet under the lights, my sister was running- she blazed the mile. I
had walked around to the back stretch before the race, where I knew my cheering
would be heard. I watched her run the way some men watch football, I was insane
about it.
Twenty years later, my prayer life became a
bit like a spectator sport. My quite time with the Lord mostly occurs in
darkness, under the lights, before anyone wakes, because I can hear my own
voice. And that image, of yelling my heart out, came to mind as I screamed at
God. Mind you, this was all in silent prayer, I was as quiet as my son in
mischief, lest I have two little prayer warriors at my side.
Why all the
passion? It was my mother-in-law’s cancer I wailed about.
It took me eleven
months to arrive at that crazy-prayer stage. At first, the news was doom-and-gloom
followed by out of this world peace and strength. Then, there were the good months
of angst reprieve, amazing vacations, and quality family time. But even while basking
in the sun, there was a rather gloomy side of my heart. There was an inclination
to buffer myself and to guard my kids, to hold Grammy at arms length.
The relationship
I have had with my husband’s mom for the past twelve years has been one to be
envied. She’s a hall-of-faither. My dark side wanted to consider, just for a
moment, backing off. Maybe call less, avoid the C-word, send fewer happy texts,
all with the justification that somehow being less involved in her life would prevent
me from becoming more smitten with her. That, said the Eeyore in me, would make
the thought of loosing her somehow bearable. And as for my kids, this
delusional plan would protect them by not exposing them. It’s brutal, but real.
Fortunately, the
cruelty of Plan A nixed it. But it makes me wonder who else I am holding out
there. Who are you holding at arms length? Perhaps because they are
high-maintenance, because they want to talk for twenty minutes when you have
one, because their problems quite frankly annoy you? Plan B is certainly not easy;
to pour your heart into those you are called to love. But at least I won’t be
living in the fear that God himself can’t handle me should I get swallowed up
in the sorrow that surrounds death. Plus,
I won’t be teaching my babies to live in a cage rather than trust and
all-powerful God.
See God could
have healed her. He’s done it before, I’ve heard of His great deeds. Nothing is
impossible. He has healed others, He could have healed her. I believed it as
much as I believed my sister would win just about any race she entered.
But He didn’t.
Instead, He took her home. To His credit, God miraculously kept her alive and
vibrant far, far longer than any medical estimation. Even so, when she entered
the Promise land weeks ago, it was too soon. She’s there and we are here,
longing for every aspect of her beautiful self. But there is something else
here. After allowing my sensitive heart to love her socks off, God has rewarded
me with strength. I still cry my heart
out in prayer, but as I cry out, I fully sense He’s got me covered. The
resonating lesson in all of this has been to let my guard down. Let it down in
prayer, and let it down when I love others. Letting it down gives God the
chance to pick me up.
Originally published in On The Side, an e-publication of the Christian Medical and Dental Association http://www.cmda.org
Shelly,
ReplyDeleteI love your blogs so much, that Monday I actually had to share a previous one when Mary and I were visiting. They were inspired. Their comment, "keep on writting."
That is my sentiment also.