Dear Mimi

Dear Mimi,
Someday you may arrive at this foreign place called motherhood, and it is with the deepest love that I need to tell you- it's fantastically hard. I pray you'll stand firm in God's love, and hope you'll learn from my meanderings along the way.

Love, Mama

Smidge 1: Closet Devotional

Mimi,
My brain is like that small hole in the house where the laundry steam escapes. About once a week good ideas come spewing out, only to quickly vanish into the air. As such, there is something new coming to the blog. 

Case in point. Every week you truck home a new memory verse from Sunday School. Often times, when they grace two or three  lines, I raise one eyebrow and wonder how I'm supposed to teach it to a kindergartener.  But without fail, if I take the time to mull it over, I can come up with some way that illustrates the point.

So here we go, a new aspect to the blog. Since these ideas, devotionals of sorts, are fleeting, I'm posting them here.

Devotion 1
 (I may switch the titles because you know I won't remember which one I'm on, or if I was doing a numerical gig, alphabetical, or shapes for that matter.)

Memory Verse (From Life Center Church)
"Where is the one who has been born kind of the Jews: We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship Him." Matthew 2:2

1. Gather a flashlight, your nativity figurine set, and blocks if you have them  and head to a closet, or bathroom, etc.
2. Find a shoe-box handy and build the nativity scene on the a short distance from the wall. This alone sparks interest. Whisper what your doing. (just seems like you should whisper) as the kids help you set up the scene, if you can, use the blocks to build a stall. Explain 3 times why Peter Rabbit can't be in the scene, and then give in and say there were probably rabbits nearby, sure he can come.
3. Have the kids turn off the light and return in darkness.
The set up 

4. Read the verse
We used blocks for a stable, and Yes, that's a nursing pad box I used for the stable roof. Pulled out all the stops to keep the rain of God's head.

5.  Turn on the flashlight and slowly make it "rise" up onto the wall like a star rising in the East.

6. Kids approved.
The shadow - hard to photo in the dark. We repeated the performance later with all lights off in the house, on the dining room wall - was impressive.




No comments:

Post a Comment