“I do this simply by keeping my
attention on God and by being generally and lovingly aware of Him. This could be called practicing the presence
of God moment by moment, or to put it better, a silent, secret and nearly
unbroken conversation of the soul with God.”
Brother Lawrence didn’t do anything
great, per se. And it wasn’t what he did at all, but rather his frame of mind
in doing tedious, mundane, dare-I-say boring work. In his words, “We must not
grow weary of doing little things for the love of God, who looks not on the
great size of the work, but on the love in it.”
It’s not the size of the task, but
the love in it that matters. I just adore that he figured that out while
doing the humdrum. If he practiced the presence of God while
fighting war or under severe persecution, it would mean less
to me - but he did it washing dishes and fixing shoes. I think it was what
the Apostle Paul meant when he wrote "whatever you do, do it all to the
glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). It just becomes real to me written
by a quiet monk. Paul was, well, Paul.
God sees my heart. A heart that certainly
does not glorify him every step of the way as Brother Lawrence honed his heart
to. My attitude while parenting can’t possibly be pleasing to God some, well
more than some, of the time. My daily mental conversations could be called
colorful at best. In honesty, there are moments of drudgery. Don't misunderstand me, its easy to be thankful for the big picture. I have a deep deep joy (which I cannot even put into words) found in this journey of being a mom. But still, there are flashes
of hair pulling hassle, and even the occasional over-dramatized pity party. How can it all be
done for the glory of God? Not just the important
stuff, but all of it? I think of my
pal Larry and his example of practicing the presence of God, of love being poured
into the minute tasks, when I’m changing diapers, cleaning dishes, and when I
bend over for the millionth time to pick up whatever toy has just impaled the
arch of my foot.
At a distance, the small tasks of being
a mom seem palatable. Put baby to sleep. Clean gooey baby food and noodles
off floor. Wipe boogers. Help brother in bathroom. Help sister do homework. Taken one at a time, they seem trivial. But sometimes the baby won’t sleep and I’ve
cleaned the floor 3 times already today. I struggle to disregard the size of
the task and focus on the love I could pour into it for the glory of the Lord.
At some point, when your little
brother was an infant, I had the following experience, all before 9 a.m., and
scribbled it down on a piece of paper.
Today – for the record
·
The baby fussed all night
· My hands smell like poop.
·
The computer crashed
· I need a band-aid, possibly stitches, on my chest
For the preservation of your innocence, I've just deleted the full explanation of that last senario. Your welcome. I will say that nursing is not all bliss- and that if you don't take care of problems early, it can get rather gory and leave you making that infamous bitter-beer-face every time the babe latches. This would not have been a problem for your brother however, he could have successfully nursed a coconut. My point being- how can I possibly give glory when the small tasks get insurmountable?
It makes the challenge to “Render
service with a good attitude, as to the Lord and not to men” (Ephesians 6:7
HCSB) unfathomable.
As moms, we serve. If we serve for our children there is reward some of the time. But here is what I’m starting to realize, if we focus on serving Christ as parents rather than focus on serving kids, there is always eternal reward. Perhaps the duties become mundane because, the skills required to change a blow-out aren’t highly esteemed. But that’s just what Brother Lawrence spoke against; he said it’s not the size of the task. It is the love in it.
Who knows- if you take your eyes off the diaper mess for a moment you might just notice the gummy smile of the babe staring up at you. Glory.
As moms, we serve. If we serve for our children there is reward some of the time. But here is what I’m starting to realize, if we focus on serving Christ as parents rather than focus on serving kids, there is always eternal reward. Perhaps the duties become mundane because, the skills required to change a blow-out aren’t highly esteemed. But that’s just what Brother Lawrence spoke against; he said it’s not the size of the task. It is the love in it.
Who knows- if you take your eyes off the diaper mess for a moment you might just notice the gummy smile of the babe staring up at you. Glory.
We serve and worship the Lord in the banal and when we sing in church. Our Christian lives are not disconnected from the mundane ever. Things that we might not think matter, do matter, and how we approach life, matters. We are to keep attentive to Him always. Thanks for the reminder and sharing, Shelly! Love it!
ReplyDelete