Dear Mimi

Dear Mimi,
Someday you may arrive at this foreign place called motherhood, and it is with the deepest love that I need to tell you- it's fantastically hard. I pray you'll stand firm in God's love, and hope you'll learn from my meanderings along the way.

Love, Mama

Do as I say, not as I did.

When I was a little girl, your Nana would make play dough from scratch. She'd sit us three girls down in those retro white saucer chairs and work away at the stove. It took forever. With her back to us, she'd pull out the steaming ball and knead it in her hands until it was just the right color and consistency. We'd beg to have some, to which she'd always reply It's too hot.. then pause and add Do as I say, not as I do.

The remark has returned to me since becoming your mama, mostly while I eat raw cookie dough in front of you, or any other time I'm too tired to explain.

But this blog is where the phrase becomes sincere. There is so much I can’t tell you about motherhood since – well- you’re 4. But lest I forget, I'll put it here. Do as I say, not as I did. See I was one of those new moms who screamed much louder than her baby. And I'm quite sure the neighbors heard me yelling in the garage and breaking things. No, there's no raccoon in there, its just mama.

If I could fast forward to when you become a new mom I would love-pummel you and tell you to let it go. Give it up. We serve an almighty Savior who will meet you in the garage and take you from there to sanity. I promise. If He can do it for me, He can do it for anyone.

So now I'm the one with the hot dough in hand. Or maybe I'm the hot lump, finally succumb to the One who can transform me from mere flour, to blob, to awesomely bright play dough.

"...Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so you are in My hand..."
Jeremiah 18:6

No comments:

Post a Comment