I roll my underwear. When the laundry comes spewing out of the dryer, it’s only my jockies I look forward to folding. Like origami, I overlap twice then roll like a ding-dong. I’m not packing for a trip to the moon, but it’s darn near as thrilling.
Here’s why: In my drawer, to their left, live the mismatched, often single, sometimes holey socks. They’re disheveled and totally out of control. This represents the majority of my life. But right down the middle are my neat and tidy undies. Every morning they salute me in their obedient place. The faithful little row holds it’s own in the midst of chaos.
I’ve gone over this with God. Yes, I’ve prayed over my underwear, and I’m happy to report He’s given me the go-ahead. I tell Him that He can have control of every bit of my life- and He’s always finding more territory to rule- but I get to roll my underwear. They’re under my reign.
In motherhood, we get off course when we focus only on controlling our children, their behavior, their clothes, and how many peas they eat at dinner. When we relinquish some of that,and instead seek to please Christ as parents, we gain eternal perspective on our role. I'm not saying we let them run naked at the park, but that we consider how Christ would handle our daily parenting "situations" and invite Him to help us. I guarantee, it's a more peaceful place.
Mimi, when you become a mama, do as I say: Give it to Christ. Be weary of the areas you seek to control, and watch out, He may just ban you to the underwear drawer.
"Trust in the Lord your God with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5
No comments:
Post a Comment