Your brother has been coming to some profound realizations lately. I just wish they weren’t about me. A few weeks ago I was working intently on something when he ran up and yelled, “Matt happy!” Its not the first time he’s made this declaration. In fact, he may just be the happiest kid on the block, according to him. So I smiled, kept at what I was doing, and said, “Oh good buddy, Mama’s happy too.”
Not satisfied, he took the opportunity to school his mother.
“No… Matt happy, Mama busy.”
Ouch. My face blushed like it did the time I gave Cody Enzler directions to ride his BMX to my house. I told him I lived off Regina Street. He thought I said a certain female orifice and actually screamed on the phone.
This time, your brother caught me and called me on it. I was on my iPhone, checking Facebook, responding to a text, or emailing a friend for an all-important granola recipe. Whatever the app, it was so intoxicating I couldn’t even look up.
It’s embarrassing when your bad habits are so blatant that a two year old notices. Here I am, with luxury of staying at home while millions of other moms work overtime to pay the bills, and I’m caught browsing wreaths on Pinterst.
I may have said vagina back in the ninth grade, but I meant Regina. And I was indeed totally ignoring your brother, but it was not my heart’s intention. I’m thankful for the call to wise up. It’s a small thing, to put down my phone and respect my child enough to look him in the eye. If society weren’t so mind-sucking, it would be no problem at all. I’ve been trying, and like a good little teacher, he rewarded me with this little nugget...
Running into the kitchen full speed, he collides into my leg and yells “Mama…is…awesome!”
Lesson: Put down your phones, pick up your kids.
1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or the things in the world…
No comments:
Post a Comment